Coming together as one

14 Sep

red car

Today, I share a short story about community.

My husband Jack and I were riding along the 104 bike path early Wednesday evening. We were headed east near Five Mile Line Road when we came upon a small car in the ditch. The driver, a 30-ish woman, had swerved to avoid another car which had cut her off, and ended up going off the side of the road. The tracks in the mud indicated her car traveled a good 100 feet or more before it stopped.

Being first on the scene, we immediately parked our bikes and ran to check on the passengers, which also included a young girl and a 3-month old baby.  Everyone was all right, although Mom was understandable pretty shaky. We chatted with the driver and I called 911.

Before we knew it, another three cars had stopped by the side of the road and four more people joined us. Everyone immediately fell into a different role.

One woman knelt down near the driver-side door for what seemed like forever, patiently comforting the driver and eventually convincing her to get out of the car and stand up on the bike path.

One man guided the young girl and her little brother up to the path, while another helped the driver contact her boyfriend to come pick her up.

Jack helped coordinate, I held the baby and kept the kids company on the bike path.

Before long, a young West Webster firefighter showed up. He and the other men worked together to pull the car out of the mud and drive it up to the side of the road. A NYS Trooper who had joined us suggested to the driver that we get her car off the highway while they waited for her boyfriend to arrive. So I slipped into the driver seat and drove the family to Lowe’s.

In the end, everything turned out OK. No one was hurt and the car had only suffered a scratch. The real story here is how caring people are.

Everyone who rushed to help came as strangers, and left as strangers. But for 45 minutes of our lives, we were one community — one family — simply helping someone who needed help.

Because that’s what good people do.

* * *

email me  at missyblog@gmail.com“Like” this blog on Facebook and follow me on Twitter and Instagram

You can also get email notifications every time I post a new blog by using the “Follow Me” link on the right side of this page.

9 Responses to “Coming together as one”

1. Mary Holleran September 14, 2017 at 12:23 pm #

Gave me goosebumps. Thanks for stopping to help and for sharing this story.

2. websterontheweb September 14, 2017 at 12:42 pm #

What a nice thing to say. Thank you.

3. Marcia September 14, 2017 at 2:49 pm #

You all were very compassionate and caring for this family…thumps up and Kudos to you all!!!

4. kellief5 September 14, 2017 at 5:57 pm #

How wonderful to read this; I can only hope that more people are as compassionate as you & the others who stopped to assist the woman are when others need help as well.

• websterontheweb September 14, 2017 at 6:49 pm #

I’d like to think that pretty much everyone would stop to help if it were necessary. I’m sure that many others who were driving by would also have stopped if they hadn’t seen four cars there already.

5. Pat Sweetland September 14, 2017 at 10:19 pm #

I saw this!!! I wonder what had happened. People do the right thing when they need to! 🙂

6. Anne Wallman September 15, 2017 at 1:10 pm #

Two years ago I experienced a similar situation on #104. A tire blew out and my car fishtailed into the ditch near Five Mile Line exit. The car was totaled and I was shaken. Within minutes I was surrounded by complete strangers from the highway, the Webster Fire Department ,a State Trooper, the police department and EMT’S from Rochester General Hospital loading me into an ambulance. To this day I don’t know any of their names but will always remember how selfless and caring they were to me, a total stranger.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks